08 December, 2006

yellow submarine

Meet Karl Stanley, 32 years old. He's got a history major. And he's built a submarine. In fact he's built two submarines. The first one he started building at the age of 15, and finished when he was 23. This one you see here he built more recently in an Oklahoma aircraft hangar. It goes 2000 feet under the sea (more than 600 metres) where daylight cannot reach. For $500, you too can go down to that depth and watch sixgilled sharks as well as creatures with iridiscent eyes. I was tempted, believe me, and almost got a trip (talking up the chances of coverage in a magazine article). But Karl's schedule meant I couldn't. You may hear more about him. HBO were making a documentary about him while I was there.

The super sub could actually come in handy over here in La Ceiba, the coastal city where I am currently. It's rainy season and everything is getting submerged. It is definitely not very guidebook author friendly. This morning, I went to a little outlying village to check out one hotel, which is normally reachable by walking along the beach. But the waters from a creek going to the sea had risen so precipitously that I couldn't go that way.

So I had to go this way, talking of precipitous. This image I took on the way back. Now imagine this with torrential rain. I certainly wasn't stopping to take any photos!





Here's the bird's eye view:


And here's what it was like in town:


Anyway, other hostel guests are forming an orderly queue to use this computer. I am hoping my shoes will dry sometime soon. Bye for now.

No comments: