15 December, 2006

chicken bus

Had the biggest heart-in-the-mouth moment so far on my journey from the Caribbean coast into Honduras' cowboy heartland. Took the chicken bus (so-called because of its reputation for transporting the locals' livestock) across an unpaved country road. It's been raining here quite a lot - I think I may already have mentioned that - and the road, already badly potholed, was in a very bad state in some places. At one point, the road support seemed to have practically been washed away by a creek. We got over that, but couldn't get up the hill on the other side. For one moment I thought we were about to career back into the water. Somehow the vehicle managed to stay put.

The conductor took control: "All the men out now to push." I didn't need any encouragement to get out as quickly as possible. All the women and children then disembarked to make the load lighter. The local guys gathered right behind the truck where the mud was thinnest - maybe to preserve the shine of their shoes. I went right to the rear right-hand side (ie out of the way if the vehicle slipped backwards) where the mud was thickest - definitely to preserve my continued existence on this planet. Then we pushed as hard as we could. Thankfully we pushed it out of the bog and up the hill.

Here are the bus guys cleaning their pride and joy before she continued to the capital:


And here are my shoes (I am ashamed to say they remain festering in a plastic bag in my hotel room):

to make matters worse, there was a teachers' conference in the cowboy town where i stopped. No hotels had room - apart from one. It is the type with naked lightbulbs and marks on flaky painted walls. It also had a 9.30 curfew and none of the guests were supposed to drink - even outside the hotel. I was very rebellious and had a bottle of beer to wash down my steak supper.

i am now in the capital, Tegucigalpa, a chaotic, massively crowded city typical of Central America with shantytowns perched up the surrounding hillsides, street hawkers lining every available space of the pavement and black bus smog choking the streets. Which is nice when you spend most of the day as I did hanging around bus stations (to check the timetables and prices just to clarify).

hasta pronto.

4 comments:

raver said...

Aye up mate! Heard from Manel's you had a blog about your last Lonely Planet job and didn't want to miss the chance to spend a bit more of my time at work reading personal web sites.
Hope you enjoy the trip and make a wicked guide: we'll go to check everything is right, heh!
And clean your shoes, por el amor de DiĆ³s!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you're safe and well. Bus trip sounds hair-raising but guess it only adds to the adventure! All fine here - London looks very festive, I'm sickening for a cold, work is dull as but on the plus side I'm seeing Snow Patrol on Monday....

Huckleberry Finn said...

Hueon,

My days in Coventry are over and I am feeling SO SAD! I have had fantastic goodbyes with people at work, badminton and Hugh Road. Shame you were pushing old buses out of the mud in central america.

I am flying to Barcelona tonight but I will be back for the 4th January, just to grab my stuff and head down to London on the 6th (Elly is helping).

Any news from the Australian adventure?

Manel

Anonymous said...

Thanks for my postcard!
Victoria, yr travel agent