11 December, 2006

Gecko

Just a quick update from a crooked Internet café. Spent one night in an interesting hotel. I had a room-mate that evening, a little gecko who ran away when I tried to take pictures. They blasted out reggae music at the dodgy nightclub next door. I owe my current sanity to Boots own brand ear plugs.

I have changed to a lovely hostel just outside Trujillo, a sleepy little place where Spanish conquistadores used to ship gold pillaged from the interior back home. This used to attract pirates and some big battles occurred in the bay in front. The famous buccaneer Henry Morgan was involved in one. There is also a strong Garifuna community here.

I went for a dusk swim in the ocean in front of the hostel last night. Actually more of a night paddle (I still remember Jaws). Tomorrow I am going into cowboy country, taking the bumpy ride along unpaved roads to get to the capital.

I might not get to the internet for a while, but will blog on as soon as I can.

Adios xx
jol

No comments: