07 March, 2007

Groomsman vs usher

When my oldest friend called me to ask me to be a groomsman at his wedding in Melbourne, I didn't really know what I was saying yes to, guessing it was the antipodean equivalent of usher. It was...but better. It's being an usher without the 'To Do' list. The most onerous task I had to do all day was ask people to board the bus to the reception. Other than that, I had the tiresome duties of dressing up to the nines, being chauffeur driven round the city in a vintage Jaguar, sitting up at the head table, eating exquisite food to the backdrop of Melbourne's city lights, posing in a few photos, and, of course, quaffing bubbly.

In the end, I made up my own duties:

-- Purchasing the nervous bridegroom his final beer as a bachelor (a more demanding task than you might think – apparently, he would not have been a happy man if singledom terminated with a Foster's).

-- Winding up the best man up about his speech ("that's a great gag, no of course no one will be offended"). Oops.

And, well, that's it.

A great do. Excellent to see my oldest friend and meet his new wife Emma. Since I have been in Sydney, I have actually ended up a lot of time with them. They have now headed off for a 7-month trip through Africa, no doubt gutted I am no longer sharing their honeymoon with them.

Other Melbourne highlights: Eating kangaroo and crocodile on my first meal out. Crocodile was strangely normal in a spiced sauce. Roo was very tender, quite gamey... sorry Skippy (and vegetarian friends).

- Catching up with my cousin Ed who has the biggest TV screen I have ever seen.

Am currently in the NSW coastal town of Terrigal, which has a flock of pelicans on the beach just around the corner from the little hostel I am in. More very soon (instead of the epic pause between this post and the last).

Hoo roo.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to hear from you, bro! I've never eaten croc, but I had a kangaroo steak once - it was yummy. Hope you are enjoying your aussie adventure...K

Anonymous said...

Eating Skippy. Yum. Kangaroo steaks rock. Making me hungry bro. I'm getting really jealous thinking about all those Melbourne memories......happy days. Come home soon. I need to share another curry and bottle of red wine with you. x

Anonymous said...

Hi Jol
Thanks for my postcard!
Victoria at Travelbag, your travel agent. I have now left so go to my friend Lizzie!

Huckleberry Finn said...

Jol!

Due to previous commitments that I had forgoten about, I will not be able to come to Coventry for your party... Te prometo que no es venganza, sino compromiso!

And mate, update your blog, I enjoy your style very much.