26 November, 2006

Honduras blog begins

San Pedro Sula is one of the most ordered and industrious of Honduran cities. The streets are in a systematic grid. Street locations are labelled (north-west, north-east, south-east, south-west) for geographic dunces (sometimes handy). But a very Latin American chaos hits you almost as soon as you land. It was my taxi ride into town that did it for me (the airport is 10 miles outside of the city, plonked in the middle of banana plantations). Cars with dents for doors (you think a 1989 Renault 5 looks knackered?) swerved in front - indicating is for wimps here. Families stretched out in the back of battered pick-up trucks that were belching clouds of dark diesel fumes. One middle-aged lady ride was riding pinion on a motorbike without a helmet. Nearer the city centre, we waited at the traffic lights behind a scrawny mule dragging a cart laden with bananas and some tired looking coriander dangling over the edge.

Coventry it ain´t. It´s exhilarating, maddening and intoxicating. And a bit of a shock to the system. My plan to hit the ground running involved me going to sleep at 2 in the afternoon on the day I arrived (3-hour queues at the immigration desk at JFK do little for energy levels or mood).

But I have landed on my feet here. The hostel owner Juan Carlos has been a mine of information. Slightly randomly he also offered me a vegemite sandwich (when he knew I came from a land down under). Even more randomly, I ended up at an exclusive party last night held in a car park, celebrating the 10th anniversary of a shopping mall (Juan Carlos and his wife Angela play in a band and were performing for the great and the good of the San Pedro commerical elite). Fun in a bizarre way.

I also got my first linguistic gaffe out of the the way early. At the very good restaurant just opposite the hostel, I asked for ´ironed chicken´ (pollo planchado) as opposed grilled chicken (pollo a la plancha). The waitress very politely corrected me. On the scale of things, not quite as bad as the time I said ¨thank you for eating me¨ after a friend´s grandparents in France had invited me round to lunch.

On that bombshell, I better sign off. I have already abused my right to 15 minutes´internet time. Suppose I better keep this blog thing short and snappy.

I´ll probably be on the Caribbean coast next time I write - should be getting the bus there tomorrow. Adios for now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude!! I wanted to leave the first ever comment on your blog! Yeah! Glad to hear you got there safely although 3 hours queues at JFK sound like hell on earth...brings back memories of a similar occurrence at Vancouver....was ready to punch someone! Stay safe and look forward to reading all about your adventures!! xx

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you've arrived safely, bro. And even if you didn't hit the ground running, at least you landed on your feet - hehehe! Looking forward to more of your adventures...

Huckleberry Finn said...

Mate, I was back from Spain late last night and I did not have the chance to check on Olly. La casa de Hugh Rd seguia en pie y de acuerdo a las pistas que encontre por el comedor y la cocina, el ninyo esta bien. De hecho, la vecina tambien estaba en casa. Me alegro de que estes sano y salvo y espero que escribas pronto desde el Caribe.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jol

Loved the blog, Jol! Really good tonic on a cold and wet Monday morning in Cov. Sounds like you have made a lot of ground even after just a few days. The band playing in the square sounds like something from an Ernest Hemingway novel (or do I mean Graham Green?). And sea kayaking. Did you lose site of land? How on earth did you navigate? By following coconuts or something? Take care of yourself! PS. This is the first comment I have ever published!!